httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: Apache-1.3: question about mod_unique_id
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2001 05:06:13 GMT
From: "dean gaudet" <>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 8:26 PM

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, G√ľnter Knauf wrote:
> > Hi, I've compiled mod_unique_id for Win32 and for Netware, and on both
> > platforms it seems to work the same as with Unix, I can see a unique
> > id with SSI and cgi scripts; so can someone please explain why we have
> > the #error about not supporting multitask OS?

Sounds like a worthy goal.  Gunter, based on Dean's comments below, are you
willing to post a patch?  Since all have asked for these modules (vhost_alias
as well), I'm going ahead and committing both to the Win32 build.  Since this
is very likely a near-final 1.3 release, it would be nice to see those both

> where the code uses a pid (getpid()) you need to use a concatenation of
> pid and thread id.
> otherwise you violate some of the uniqueness guarantees.
> i just didn't bother trying to figure out how to get a thread id in any
> sort of portable way and left that to folks who actually wanted the module
> on those platforms.
> (this is actually mentioned in the comments near the top of the file
> describing how it works and the assumptions made.)

As I've read.  IIRC there are some other subtle issues with the size of the
unique key.  Be careful that we keep everyone in sync.

Seems that we now have 64 bit cpu's with potentially 64 bit pids.  This adds
to the equation, it looks like we need to cut over to those extra four bytes
across all platforms.

View raw message