httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2001 14:46:28 GMT
From: "Jeff Trawick" <trawick@attglobal.net>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 9:32 AM

> Another theory (I know this one to be true for at least one person :)
> ) is that some folks were in favor of a GZ module and there was only
> one to look at properly and choose from, and it seemed reasonably
> coded and could be easily shown to work with the current code.

And (a critical point) there is complex interaction between the many
clients out there and gzip encoding, as RC's commentators observed.

The module may build and run exactly as designed.  This doesn't change
the fact that it may have negative interactions with mod_ssl (making
some crypto simpler to break) and will not work as expected with some
browsers.  So it is absolutely experimental, just as mod_auth_digest
was when introduced in 1.3.

I really can only support the code for one end - stressing our design.
I too believe the 'benefits' will fall out in the wash for most users.

Bill