httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: mod_include performance update
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2001 19:44:49 GMT

> Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
> >>One phenomenon in the truss data looks a bit strange:
> >>  http://webperf.org/a2/v25/truss.2001_01_04
> >>
> >>The server appears to be logging the request (the write to file descriptor
> >>4) before closing its connection to the client (the shutdown that
> >>follows the
> >>write).  For a non-keepalive request, shouldn't it do the shutdown first?
> >>

> >Nah, what you are seeing is normal.  The socket is shutdown and closed during the
call
> >ap_lingering_close in the MPMs. That's the way it should work.
> >
> That sounds like a bug to me.  The client shouldn't have to wait for
> the logger to run before the request completes.

You may not like the design, but it's not a bug.

Keep in mind, completing the HTTP request is not the same thing as closing the socket.
Making the client wait an extra couple of millisconds for the server to close the socket
is a non-issue. Not flushing our output buffers before logging... now that would be a bug.

Bill