httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Random Filter Syntax observations...
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2001 05:24:12 GMT
From: "Ian Holsman" <ianh@cnet.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 8:10 PM

> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
> > When you say {Set|Add}OutputFilter, you clobber the filter chain.
>
> as long as you can remove all filters in a subdirectory by specifying a
> empty 'SetOutputfilter' (or maybe ever 'Clearoutputfilter') the command
> should be then renamed to SetOutputFilterChain as you are Setting/Removing
> the entire chain.

This is INACCURATE.  SetOutputFilter undoes a higher level SetOutputFilter.

It should not remove all filters inserted by other means (nor should it.)

> the other issue I have with filters is 'enabling' them, I looked at the INCLUDE
> and CASE filters, and the both have a method of turning them on (either by allow
> include in mod-includes case or caseFilter On.
>
> we need to come to agreement on whether we need to do this. Setting the filter
> in the chain should enable it. period.

I like Justin's idea of an unambigious DeleteOutputFilter foo.  No matter how
you added the filter, provided it happens before the core insert_filters hook,
DeleteOutputFilter would take them back out.

SetOutputFilter should and (IIRC) currently does knock off another SetOutputFilter.
It does not replace filters added by other means.

[Sorry if I repeat myself, I want this misconception eliminated.]