httpd-dev mailing list archives

From TOKI...@aol.com
Subject Re: 2.0.23 tarballs up
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:37:00 GMT

> William Wrowe writes...
>
>  CVS is a unix utility, all text files end in LF.  If you check them out to
>  mac, win32, ebcdic, or other platform, they know what becomes of them.

Sort of. Looks like what happened, though, is that someone checked
out the .dsw and .dsp on a 'Nix' box, and CVS did not 'know what to
do' because it thought single LF would be OK. It was not. The single
LF's got wrapped in the tarball and they rendered the build files
useless unless a specific client-side (commercial) program is used.
If the files were checked in 'binary' there wouldn't have been any problem.
This is all I am saying.

You keep talking like the .DSW and .DSP are like .C and .H that
someone might 'patch' and they should be able to do 'diffs' and stuff
on them. My turn to say 'nonsense'. They are GENERATED
files and should never be 'touched' with any editor... they just
happen to LOOK like 'text' files.

Hey... whatever... you're flying this kite, not me.

I just thought since you guys are always so picky about your
build process(es) unfolding 'clean' that you should know you are
married to a specific set of options on the client side ( Xlate CR/LF out
of tarballs ) for your stuff to compile on a certain platform.

Take it to the bank or round file it... I don't really care.
It's all just FYI.

Yours...
Kevin

Original mesage...