httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/filters mod_include.c
Date Sun, 26 Aug 2001 02:23:49 GMT
On 25 Aug 2001 rbb@apache.org wrote:

> rbb         01/08/24 22:26:05
>
>   Modified:    .        CHANGES
>                modules/filters mod_include.c
>   Log:
>   Add the ability for mod_include to add the INCLUDES filter
>   if the file is configured for the server-parsed handler.
>   This makes the configuration for .shtml files much easier
>   to understand, and allows mod_include to honor Apache 1.3
>   config files.   Based on Doug MacEachern's patch to PHP
>   to do the same thing.

Before I go back and put back all the stuff I took out of the docs on
mod_include handlers (;-) could you clarify this a little for me.

1. True/False:  Using the handler is perfectly equivalent to using the
filter except in the case where more than one filter or handler is in use
or a content-type other than text/html is being filtered.  The
server-parsed handler cannot be used when another handler is in use for
the same file (eg. cgi-script).  As well, the server-parsed handler will
always run first, so if you wish the INCLUDES filter to run after another
filter, you should explictly specify the filter chain using SetFilter.
Finally, the server-parsed filter will always output HTML, whereas the
INCLUDES filter can process any file type and will not change the
content-type.

2. What is the "recommended" way of using mod_include?  SetFilter is more
flexible, but the <FilesMatch> thing makes it hard to use and slows down
the directory-walk.

3. If you are going to add back the magic-mime-type, please let me know so
I don't have to re-re-revise the docs.

Joshua.