httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: .libs/httpd
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2001 09:06:55 GMT
> But as I said, libtool sucks.  Basically, libtool 1.4 has
> combined ltconfig and libtool into one executable.  If you pass
> --disable-shared to the configure step, the libtool is built in
> such a way, that it can no longer create shared libraries.

    A user should not directly temper with the way libtool is
    created, because it is unlikely that she understands the
    impact of doing so.  I would suggest to set enable_shared and
    enable_static to yes before AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is run, so that
    the build framework can choose what libtool does during
    compile-time.  This would facilitate supporting a flag
    --enable-static-apr or something similar which acts locally
    instead of bogusly setting one global flag.

    - Sascha                                     Experience IRCG
      http://schumann.cx/                http://schumann.cx/ircg