httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: 2.0.24 ready for beta?
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2001 19:16:31 GMT
On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> > I don't think I am.  Let's get this taken care of.  :-/
>
> Why? Most serious Apache users run Unix/Linux. And thread support
> under Unix/Linux is one of the main features of Apache 2.0. Obviously
> we need to fix Win32 but it is wrong to delay the beta because of
> Win32. IMHO.

Mainly because OtherBill implied that the fixes for at least 90% of his
issues were forthcoming (which I see now that they are).

Besides, I just think it looks bad for us to constantly be swaying back
and forth.  Oh, this release is a beta for Unix but not Win32.  Oh, this
one is good on Win32 but only alpha-and-a-half for Unix.  Granted, we'd
probably never release code in the latter case because most of us are
Unix-inclined and Unix remains our major audience.  But still I'd like us
to be able to continue to say that a big feature of 2.0 is that Win32 is
just as well supported as Unix, even though I'd never actually use Apache
(or any other service for that matter) off of a Windows box myself.  IMO,
the appearance presented to the public if we were to release a beta on
Unix and not call it a beta on Win32 would be that Win32 is lagging far
behind, which I don't believe to be the case at all.

But that's just my $0.02.  I won't veto a split release, but let's just
say I'm -0.75 on the idea.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com