httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: 2.0.23 tarballs up
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2001 00:13:46 GMT
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:

> Except for the LF only in all the .DSW and .DSP Win32 project files
> you DO have a working Win32 2.0.23 tarball.
>
> Thanks to Jerry Baker's help here is the (final?) story on that...
>
> 1. As long as you use any version of WinZip ( versus PKZIPW for Win32 )
> and that version of WinZip has a feature under Options|Miscellaneous
> that says 'Auto-convert LF to CR/LF on .TAR unpacks' and that option
> is ON ( Usually the default ) then all is OK. The .tar.gz on the dev site
> will unpack, load into MSVC, and compile straight away.
>
> 2. The only people it isn't going to work for are those not using WinZip
> and don't have the auto-convert LF option. ( Like me ).

Cool.  That's a nice feature.  I doubt we want to rely on it, of course...
so we need a good CRLF'd tarball.  I haven't looked at Jerry's yet, but I
hope to do so this evening sometime.  [Disclaimer: I might not have
time... I'm getting ready to leave for SIGGRAPH tomorrow afternoon.  I'll
do my best.  If all else fails, I'll have plenty of connectivity at the
conference, so I can take care of it from there if need be.]

> I think once the original Win32 project files are stored 'as-is' into
> the tarball ( as binary versus text to preserve CR/LF ) then this is
> all a moot point and both PKZIPW and WinZip will produce a
> loadable Apache.dsw project. That's the way it's always been
> but I might be the only one left using PKZIPW for Win32 so
> it probably doesn't matter.

Give or take the need for carriage returns, they really are text files and
should be treated as such.  Having the change history is very useful.
When changes to the .dsp's get checked in, people (including myself)
actually DO look at the commit mails to see what the diffs are... if the
files were -kb in the repository, this wouldn't really be possible.

> So that's 3 +1's for 2.0.23 windows version compiling and running OK
> ( Myself, Jerry and Sebastian ).
>
> No fancy tests done here yet but it certainly serves up pages
> and stays alive OK.

Great!  Glad to hear it.

Thanks,
Cliff