httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject are we ready to roll?
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2001 20:27:28 GMT

So are we ready to roll 2.0.23?  I haven't heard any showstopper
complaints about it that haven't been addressed already...

Known issues with 2.0.23:

1) Win9x, WinME, and Netware do not yet work.
2) Unix: The threaded MPM might take longer than expected to perform
   a graceful restart if an insufficient number of incoming requests
   are being received at the time of the restart.  This is due to the
   accept model for connections used by the threaded MPM and the fact that
   workers cannot be awakened to receive the shutdown signal until they
   receive an incoming connection.  A new MPM (temporarily called "worker")
   is being developed to correct this problem using a different accept
   model, though it is not ready yet.  For now, the prefork MPM is
   considered the most stable (and is therefore currently the default),
   though threaded has made quite a bit of progress since 2.0.22.  We are
   very interested in real-world performance comparisons between
   prefork and threaded, particularly on heavily-loaded servers.
   Any feedback along those lines would be greatly appreciated.
3) mod_auth_dbm, mod_auth_db, and mod_auth_digest might not compile on
   some systems due to missing headers or libraries which are not
   correctly flagged as missing by configure.  Using --enable-modules=most,
   --enable-shared=most, etc, can enable some of these modules even
   on platforms where they will not compile.  If you have trouble
   compiling any of them, you can disable the offending module by
   rerunning configure and adding --disable-auth-dbm, --disable-auth-db,
   or --disable-auth-digest to the end of your configure line.
4) mod_ssl is still in the process of being ported to Apache 2.0 and
   is considered alpha quality.  Considerable progress has been made
   on it since 2.0.22, though it still might not work on all systems and
   not all functionality has yet been enabled.  One particular problem of
   note is that some people  have experienced problems POSTing data to
   mod_ssl and mod_tls.
5) There is a known build problem when using GNU make version 3.77
   on some systems, which appears to be a bug in that version of gmake.
   Upgrading to a newer version of gmake fixes the problem.  However,
   this bug is apparently being triggered by some non-portable features
   being used in one of our makefiles and has been seen to cause problems
   with some platforms' native makes as well (OS/390 in particular).

The following patches have been committed to 2.0.24-dev but not to 2.0.23:

a) Ryan's http_protocol.c ap_http_filter() patches
b) a four line patch to ssl_engine_io.c (rev 1.15) removing the hardcoded
   APR_BLOCK_READ/AP_MODE_BLOCKING settings
c) s/socket/skt/ in apr_network_io.h for apr_socket_(un)set_inherit
d) the patch from an hour or so ago to apr_pools.c to not destroy a
   mutex that was never created
e) Remove "sinclude(../apr/build/libtool.m4)" from apr-util/configure.in

Do I need to get any of these things tagged in to 2.0.23, or can they wait
until 2.0.24?  If the answer is no to all, then as far as I know we're
ready to roll sometime this evening...

Thanks,
Cliff

   Cliff Woolley