httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: 2.0.23 tagging this afternoon
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2001 20:19:41 GMT
On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> > For admins who do care about such matters for whatever reason, we have
> > prefork.  On the other hand, we have heard from admins who say they need
> > a solid threaded MPM ASAP because they have memory constraints, on sites
> > that certainly aren't idle.  I believe that threaded meets the latter
> > group's needs today, except perhaps for the core dump issue.
>
> Then the threaded MPM won't work for them.  The ASF has long had a
> history of releasing code when it is ready, not when people need it.
> The threaded MPM is not ready for release.

If it was me that somehow got everybody worked up today, I apologize.

Anyway, can we just go ahead and agree to switch the default to prefork?
That should satisfy everyone.  For people interested in other new features
of 2.0 besides the multithreading, prefork is probably a more useful
default for now.  I think (hope) we can all agree that prefork is ready.
Threaded is slightly less so, but it's still interesting for testing and
experimentation purposes (or even production purposes for the slightly
adventurous admin).  When worker comes along, we'll reconsider this issue.

Sound good?

Thanks,
Cliff

   Cliff Woolley