httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: 2.0.23 tagging this afternoon
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2001 17:28:35 GMT
On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> I have a problem with tagging the way the tree is right now.  The threaded
> MPM is completely bogus, and I don't believe that the group should be
> encouraging it's use in production servers.  As the code stands right now,
> the threaded MPM can not be gracefully restarted or shutdown on a
> lightly-hit server.
>
> I see two ways to fix this.  Hold the tag/roll until the worker MPM is
> finished, hopefully sometime this week, or switch the default MPM to
> prefork.

I don't have a problem with switching the default MPM.  Threaded probably
works just about as well now as it's going to, but if we're planning on
switching to the newer MPM at some point soon, then it probably doesn't
matter.

I'd like to see _some_ threaded MPM working well enough to play with, and
threaded is good enough for those standards IMO (maybe worker is too, I
don't know, I haven't tried it).  Both of them have their shortcomings at
the moment, though, so I'd rather have us switch the default MPM to one
that's solid like prefork than hold up the tag for either threaded or
worker.

--Cliff

PS: Sorry about nagging everyone about tags so frequently, by the way...
I just don't want to see us lose momentum just when it's getting good.
=-)  My thanks go out to all the people who've put in so many countless
hours trying to make this thing happen.

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA