httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/http http_protocol.c
Date Sun, 26 Aug 2001 19:58:32 GMT
On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Doug MacEachern wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > hang on, is this about keepalives or chunked encoding?
>
> both.
>
> the check always fails because ap_content_length_filter has set content
> length before ap_set_keepalive is called.  the right fix would probably be
> to check http/1.1-oneness eariler and remove (or not add) the
> ap_content_length_filter if r->chunked.

keepalives work just fine for me without the patch.

chunked encoding works just fine for me without the patch.  Some things
that did use chunked encoding in 1.3 will now have a content length
instead in 2.0, but that isn't a bug, it is a
feature.  ap_content_length_filter does _NOT_ always add a content length,
so it can't be causing chunking to "never" be used.

sure, sometimes a content length is being set when it may be cheaper to
use chunked encoding, but that is an optimization not a functionality
problem... and this change doesn't do anything to make that optimization,
it just ignores the fact that we have no need to chunk and chunks anyway.

There is nothing that says you need to use chunked encoding in HTTP/1.1

It is completely wrong to be chunking things "just because" even though we
have a content length.