httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Multi Language Error Documents
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:49:54 GMT
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Martin Kraemer wrote:

> > 1. set DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var
>
> Still, wouldn't index.var cause less confusion?

The "common use" of filenames is a basename and one extension.  People can
have things like index.html and index.jsp in the same directory; in fact,
some people (foolishly) setup an index.html with a meta refresh to a
index.jsp.  In other cases, there can be more legitimate reasons to have
the same basename with different extensions.  Not including the .html (or,
by extension, whatever other extentions on other files they are trying to
vary on) adds ambiguity.  index.html.var says we are varying among
index.html.*.  index.var only says we are varying among index.*, which
isn't as precise.

There is a bit of possible namespace overlap both ways, but I don't see
taking "var" away from the list of available language abbreviations as a
big deal...