httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Multi Language Error Documents
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2001 08:30:28 GMT
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Martin Kraemer wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 12:51:07AM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > huh?  Are you trying to say that performance is the number one criteria
> > for the default "Test Page for Apache Installation" index page?
> >
> > I'm not sure i follow...
>
> Okay, if you see it this way.  I have had quite a lot of customers
> who copied the default configuration with very little change.
> And usually, "their" /index.html's performance IS a concern to them.

But that's my whole point of wanting the config setup this way...

1. set DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var

2. the default documentroot has no index.html, so it passes over
it to index.html.var.  There is a slight performance hit here for
the default index page due to the negotiation.

3. user adds their own index.html.  The server uses it, no performance
hit at all from any negotiation stuff, regardless of if they get
rid of all the default index.html.* stuff or not.

The performance in #2 is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the
performance in #3.