httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Performance numbers..... ;(
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2001 06:22:48 GMT
On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Victor J. Orlikowski wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Was running some performance tests on AIX...
> And oddities popped up between 1.3 and 2.0 (latest CVS of both).
>
> Requests/sec.
>                     no keepalive          keepalive
> 2.0 - prefork          420                  590
> 2.0 - threaded         390                  580
> 1.3                    420                  700
>
> (Semi) Good news: Without keepalives, prefork performance in 2.0
> matches 1.3. Threaded performance comes close.
>
> Bad news: 1.3 trashed 2.0 on keepalives. Especially odd is the fact
> that the threaded and prefork numbers here are *so* close.

2.0 puts too many non-full sized packets on the wire (last I looked
anyway).  A bunch of optimizations that went into 1.3 to make sure headers
and response bodies are in the same packet, that we can pipeline multiple
response headers in the same packet, etc. don't seem to be in 2.0.

This may not be related, and would probably show up a lot more in the
"real world" network behavior than a low-latency low-number-of-clients
benchmark.