httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: [Patch]: Scoreboard as linked list.
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2001 22:00:20 GMT
On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> Understand, this isn't a theoretical concern for me.   I have modules that walk the scoreboard
> on every request.  They are looking to determine what each of the other workers is doing.
> Requiring any locking to walk the scoreboard is a non-starter.

I'm not sure that the fact that you have some unnamed module doing some
unnamed function that for some unnamed reason "wants to" (not needs,
since as you admitted there are other ways to do it) walk the scoreboard
on every request is really something that is a very good basis for
objecting to a change...

I'm not saying that there isn't a valid reason to oppose using a
linked list and/or this particular implementation, but I think it
is important to be careful to careful to separate "I have some non
Apache code that would be impacted by this" from "the design is
bad / this makes a common and reasonable task much harder / there
are implementation bugs"...