httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "RCHAPACH Rochester" <rchap...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: please make SIG_GRACEFUL configurable
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:52:53 GMT

I agree.  AS/400 supports signals but SIGWINCH is not supported.  We end up
using SIGUSR1 anyway.

Rob Simonson
simo@us.ibm.com

"Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@ebuilt.com> on 08/29/2001 08:21:33 PM
This has been on my to-do list for ages.  The decision to change from
SIGUSR1 to SIGWINCH just because a particular old version of Linux threads
happens to suck was a bad decision.  Hard-coding the value within a
bunch of places in httpd was just bad coding.

I would really appreciate it if someone coded up a patch to add an

   AP_SIG_GRACEFUL

definition, apply it everywhere in the code (and in the control scripts),
and then make it configurable using configure [default=SIGUSR1].  To make
it even better, we should have a way to signal it using httpd itself

    httpd restart
    httpd graceful
    httpd stop

would check for an existing process and send it the appropriate signal.
That way we wouldn't be spreading implementation assumptions throughout
the support code.

....Roy