httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <sl...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Multi Language Error Documents
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:01:13 GMT
<quote Martin Kraemer>
Maybe I misunderstand the prefix rule, but I (thinking as a user) would be
disappointed to get a french version if I requested "en-us" and all the
server found was "fr" and "en". I would really expect to get the "en"
variant
(and I'd interpret
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.4
like that if I were the user).
</quote>

Please see my responses to Lars.  I think if you read carefully, you will
agree that the prefix rule is one way, and it doesn't allow the server to
return "en" for a client that requests "en-us".  I'm not going to argue that
this is what makes the most intuitive sense.  However, we do need to stick
with what the standard says.

The spec makes the long comment about the client user-interface not for
backward compatibility, but for proper configuration.  Essentially, anyone
with "en-us" in their Accept-Language should also have "en".  Unfortunately,
this is not the case.

Joshua.