httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: are we ready to roll?
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:43:02 GMT
on 8/9/01 10:52 PM, Cliff Woolley at jwoolley@virginia.edu wrote:

> I've been trying to figure out how it is that the config.guess's and
> config.sub's that were in the 2.0.22 tarball didn't work on Darwin but DO
> work from CVS.  All three copies of each that make it into the tarball

Two problematic ones left in the tarball:

[monalisa:~/projects/httpd-2_0_23] sctemme% find . -name config.guess -print
-exec sh {} \;
./srclib/apr/build/config.guess
powerpc-apple-darwin1.3.7
./srclib/apr/shmem/unix/mm/config.guess
powerpc-apple-darwin1.3.7
./srclib/apr-util/xml/expat/conftools/config.guess
./srclib/pcre/config.guess
[monalisa:~/projects/httpd-2_0_23] sctemme%

However, only the expat one causes trouble, and if I replace only that one
with the download from the FSF, configure completes. PCRE, which has the
other old config.guess, doesn't seem to use it:

Configuring PCRE regular expression library ...
configuring package in srclib/pcre now
checking for gcc... (cached) cc
checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking whether cc accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) cc -E -traditional-cpp
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking for limits.h... (cached) yes
checking for working const... (cached) yes
checking for size_t... (cached) yes
checking for bcopy... (cached) yes
checking for memmove... (cached) yes
checking for strerror... yes
updating cache ../.././config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating pcre.h
creating pcre-config
creating config.h
srclib/pcre configured properly

Forward to a fresh checkout of apr-util: there is no config.guess in its
conftools directory. Instead, it is pulled in by the buildconf.sh script
which runs libtoolize:

[monalisa:apr-util/xml/expat] sctemme% pwd
/Users/sctemme/projects/apr-util/xml/expat
[monalisa:apr-util/xml/expat] sctemme% glibtoolize --force --copy --dry-run
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'.
Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `conftools'.
rm -f config.guess
cp -f /usr/share/libtool/config.guess config.guess
rm -f config.sub
cp -f /usr/share/libtool/config.sub config.sub
rm -f ltconfig
cp -f /usr/share/libtool/ltconfig ltconfig
rm -f ltmain.sh
cp -f /usr/share/libtool/ltmain.sh ltmain.sh
[monalisa:apr-util/xml/expat] sctemme%

... so that's where all those come from.

How is expat pulled into the tarball? Is it checked out from CVS (in which
case it has to be massaged into tarrable shape) or is a distribution used
with whatever material is in there?

Should I send this to another mailinglist like one for APR?

S.

--
Covalent Technologies                             sctemme@covalent.net
Engineering group                                Voice: (415) 536 5214

   PGP Fingerprint: 1E74 4E58 DFAC 2CF5 6A03  5531 AFB1 96AF B584 0AB1

use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
of the original message