httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sapan.Bha...@nokia.com
Subject Persistent cgi...?
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 11:44:00 GMT
Hi,

I need to write a module to accomodate persistent connections to cgi-scripts
for an http-like protocol in Apache 2.0...

Is that sort of thing provided for in the CGI/1.1 spec? I've gone through
the specs and they don't say anything about a CGI (or for that matter any
server-side-scripting environment) scripts having to terminate before the
server actually pushes the output to the client...
So if I'm running a script that takes a finite amount of time to finish
processing a web of URLs in some way, then shouldn't it be able to give me
feedback AS the script processes the URLs? If so, then shouldn't there be
some sort of provision in mod_cgi?

i.e., mod_cgi calls apr_bucket_pipe_create after a script has been run and
headers from stdout scanned, but the flush-bucket is passed AFTER this
pipe-bucket... which means that even if a script, that might run for several
minutes, might fflush(stdout) several times, output will still loop about in
core_output_filter in core.c...

Is there any way of getting around this??

One way I could think of was to read the script output in cgi_handler and
call create_transient_bucket instead of a creating a piped bucket, but I
don't know how that'll affect performance... Also - is there some way for a
module to determine when a connection has been reset by the browser, so that
mod_cgi could actually kill the script when that happens?

-Sapan