httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Randall <crand...@matchlogic.com>
Subject RE: Bandwidth control
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:26:41 GMT
As you point out, that level of granularity isn't available with general
purpose traffic shaping tools.

You may want to look at the Zeus server to understand the features that were
product-worthy as one example. It appears that they've only implemented this
at the virtual server level.

As you're probably aware, thttpd also provides flexible bandwidth
throttling,

http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/thttpd_man.html#THROTTLING

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Stewart [mailto:alex@foogod.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 5:53 PM
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: Bandwidth control

Charles Randall wrote:
> Often times, this can be done easier at the OS level. What OS are you
using?

Linux, and I am aware of various kernel-level controls for traffic
shaping, etc, however if you can tell me how to enforce different
bandwidth limits for different name-based vhosts, different directories,
etc, then I'm all ears, but I suspect I can also give you pretty good
reasons why even if such decisions could somehow be done at the OS
level, they really shouldn't be.

-alex