httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/experimental mod_cache.c
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:48:41 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:

> How do you handle things like byterange requests if CACHE_IN is a network filter? The
> byterange filter will filter out all but the range requested so the CACHE_IN filter will
> never see the full response.  Ditto the output chunking filter. Also, there could be
> various content translation filters installed in the filter stack (ASCII <--> EBCDIC,
> language translation, whatever. The list is indeterminate so we cannot reliably put code
> into CACHE_IN to detect these conditions and not cache.

Hmmm - ok...

Part of the job of cache_storage.c is to handle optimisations. What
CACHE_IN can do is apply mod_gzip before delivering the content to the
cache, and if necessary mod_gunzip can be applied by CACHE_OUT before
delivery to any browser who did not negotiate a gzip encoding.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street