httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jerry Baker <jerryba...@weirdness.com>
Subject Re: Fw: HTTP response problem on 2.0.24
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:55:09 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> > This is the reason that the huge number of folks offering their 'binaries' irks
> > me.

Here's the problem: On *nix machines you can get a compiler for free and
figure out how to use it. If you can figure out how to use it, then
you're probably smart enough to know what you're getting into by
building an alpha quality product. With the Windows platform the
compiler costs a minimum of $100+. That is out of the range for many
qualified persons to afford (I couldn't even afford it now). It is also
out of the range of persons who primarily run *nix but do some testing
on Windows. That is the reason for my binaries. It is not to let anyone
and everyone download Apache. If I knew of a way to stop unqualified
individuals from downloading it I would do it. Do you know any way?

PS - Sorry for the OT spam, but I could not find these posts on my NNTP
server.

--
Jerry Baker

PGP Key: http://www.jerrybaker.org/pgp.html