httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: Ryan's comments about split_and_pass_pretag_buckets.
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:09:16 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:
> The big problem, is that this shouldn't be a function, it should be a macro.

This function/macro is called from mod_include, mod_cgi, and mod_cgid. There
are six calls in all. One of which is from the first level include processing
(send_parsed_content) and five are from second level include handlers.

I was taught that you should *consider* converting a macro to a function if
is is called more than 5 times. I initially chose to leave this a macro
because 6 calls was borderline and because the code was very simple.

When Ryan added the return to the macro I rethought that decision. I abhor
having returns hidden in macros, for the very reason illustrated here. The
macro now did the wrong thing in five of the six calls.

I will be turning this back into a macro, but removing the return. I will
pass in, set, and return a return value. The rest of the code that I added
(to check the return code after each call and after the return from the
include handlers) will remain.

The code will be commited shortly.

Paul J. Reder