httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: Review of possible replacement for pools
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2001 18:38:13 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:

>Why are we spending time trying to optimize pools when we haven't eliminated the
>malloc/frees in the bucket brigade calls? The miniscule performance improvements
>you -might- get optimizing pools will be completely obscured by the overhead of the
>malloc/frees.

I'm skeptical of this conclusion.  Ian's and Justin's experimental results
show measurable improvements in CPU usage and throughput from modified pool
code.  Fixing the malloc/free overhead in brigades will be a big win on
systems with a slow malloc, but the benchmark numbers so far indicate that
it need not be in the critical path for fixing the pool scalability.

IMHO, fixing the mutex contention in pools sooner, rather than later, is
also
a good idea in general because it removes an architectural bottleneck
that can
hide the effects of performance tuning in other areas.

--Brian