httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: Review of possible replacement for pools
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2001 18:02:48 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

>On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 08:05:03PM +0200, Sander Striker wrote:
>
>>Adding an option to apr_pool_create_ex to indicate that the pool is
>>going to be shared across threads would be an option I can certainly
>>live with.  OTOH, this will introduce an extra if(lock) pair in the
>>apr_palloc and apr_pcalloc calls.  I'll send in a patch later on.
>>

>If you aren't shared, you have an extra NULL-check.  I think that is
>acceptable.  If you are shared, we make sure we can't get trounced.

I agree, as long as the NULL-check doesn't measurably impact
performance.  One of the key success factors for the original pool
code is the very short code path in the common case where it doesn't
need to allocate new blocks.  Adding another branch to this code
path might or might not slow it down measurably--but we can find
out through benchmarking.

--Brian