httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: ldap?
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2001 17:10:15 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> No.  That is where we started from.  Graham sent a large patch that did all
> of this, but a lot of it didn't really belong in APR or APR-util, because
> it had nothing to do with portability.

Well, it did have a portability function in that it smoothed out
differences between various LDAP libraries (openldap/netscape/iplanet)
rather than various platforms (unix/nt/etc).

> Based on the number of problems we have
> had figuring out where this code belongs, there is a BIG part of me that thinks it
> probably doesn't belong as a part of httpd.  Either the ASF should create an ldap
> project, or perhaps this should just be contributed to openldap.

It would make no sense in openldap, because the point of the code is to
allow native LDAP libraries to be used other than openldap. In fact the
shared memory cache code was introduced due to broken/missing cache
functionality in some of the LDAP libraries.

> I don't
> really have an answer, I'm just trying to figure out the best solution.

I think an ldap subproject is the answer. Then we can argue whether the
LDAP extension to mod_proxy belongs in the proxy subproject, or the ldap
subproject :)

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon