httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/http mod_mime.c
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2001 04:50:19 GMT
"Roy T. Fielding" wrote:

> > On daedalus, that ends up driving mod_mime_magic for many files every
> > single time a browser accesses a distribution directory.  This generates
> > tons of overhead, including gunzip'ing at least part of every .gz file
> > in the directory.  I suppose we should try to shake out bugs in m_m_m,
> > but we can do that without constantly driving it to choose the autoindex
> > icons.
>
> WTF are we running mod_mime_magic on daedalus?

beats me...I just work here.

Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Errr....  mod_mime_magic?  We should never be going through mmm on daedalus.

I don't know why you say that, unless you mean that for best performance
we should never be going thru it.  We found a bug in m_m_m earlier this
year, on daedalus.  I think it happens because m_m_m is loaded, and our
default mime.types file doesn't have a mapping for .gz's, or .Z's:

application/x-gtar              gtar
application/x-gzip
application/x-hdf               hdf

Probably the worst thing that would happen if we didn't load m_m_m is
that autoindex would use different icons for .gz's and .Z's.  Big deal.
I can experiment with it and chat w/Brian, if the consensus is to get it
off daedalus.

Greg