httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Apache config files and alternate config sources
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:11:29 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> This has been discussed before, and was the original goal for the
> configuration tree approach.  The decision in the past has always been
> that Apache config files are stored text files.  If you want to store them
> somewhere else, then create a pre-processor to grab the config data from
> some other location, and store it in a text file.  In fact, this idea was vetoed
> the last time Greg Stein and I brought it up.  Take a look through the list
> archives from just after the London ApacheCon, at about the time that the
> util_cfgtree.c file was added to CVS.

I took a look at the archives, and specifically the "Configuration
modules..." thread. It seems the discussion started with the suggestion
for config to be made modular, and a roadmap was plotted for doing it.
Wouldn't-it-be-nice-if scope creep set in, and suddenly the discussion
turned to making the config XML based. Then the suggestion that Apache
configs could be made in different languages, and all hell broke
loose...

To rewind back from that, what I am trying to propose is extremely
simple:

o Apache wants config directives in the form "ApacheDirective [Value]\n"
or "<ApacheContainer [Value]>\n", one by one in a long list.

o A simple-config-module hook gets called by the root of the config, and
by the Include directive that says "hook - give me some config
statements for this URL/file".

o The module opens the file / fetches the LDAP object / reads the
registry, creates lines from this info that look like "ApacheDirective
[Value]\n" or "<ApacheContainer [Value]>\n"

o Each of these lines is handed to the core config, which does all the
magic.

The above is pretty much how it works now (or it did when I last looked
at it), only the loop that reads each line from a file is not in a
module :)

I'd like to start getting some code together - is it worth me putting
something like this together? I think that the concerns raised in the
2000/04 thread are different to what I am proposing here.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street