httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Apache config files and alternate config sources
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2001 16:15:12 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> This has been discussed before, and was the original goal for the
> configuration tree approach.

Ok.

> The decision in the past has always been
> that Apache config files are stored text files.  If you want to store them
> somewhere else, then create a pre-processor to grab the config data from
> some other location, and store it in a text file.

This will work - perhaps such a tool could be made and put in the
support directory.

This sounds good for LDAP, because a downed LDAP server will not affect
the Apache servers if the config files are all pulled and made text, but
it seems very klunky for supporting the windows registry.

> In fact, this idea was vetoed
> the last time Greg Stein and I brought it up.  Take a look through the list
> archives from just after the London ApacheCon, at about the time that the
> util_cfgtree.c file was added to CVS.

I remember this discussion, but not the outcome. Will hunt down the
discussion in the archives...

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon