httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Apache config files and alternate config sources
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:34:17 GMT
Hi all,

Part two in the grand LDAP plan is to support the storing of
configuration data in an LDAP directory, somewhat along the lines of
what has been achieved with qmail+ldap+control. This allows multiple
machines (probably in a redundant configuration) to derive their config
from a common datasource rather than relying on files on each machine's
filesystem. It also allows the LDAP schema checking mechanism to do a
kind of syntax checking on the LDAP config, which ensures that a bogus
Apache config cannot be applied in the first place - a Good Thing(TM) :)

In order to achieve this technically, I have a number of questions.

It's been a while since I looked at the way the config files are read in
v2.0 - so my understanding could be way off - however as I understand it
a config file is opened by Apache, and it is read line by line, feeding
non-comment lines to be processed by the config subsystem. The Include
directive is handled roughly as a kind of recursion, where a new file is
opened and the loop continued.

To support LDAP (and potentially other methods, such as the Windows
Registry), I propose a new hook. This would call one or more functions
whose job it is to recognise the filename/urlname of the configuration,
read that object in, and then render each line of config appropriately
as it is done now. For example the "file" module would recognise the URL
"conf/httpd.conf", while the "ldap" module would recognise URL
"ldap:///blah" and the "registry" module would recognise the URL
"registry:///some/key".

A default config file on an Apache system might include the line:
"Include ldap:///blah" which includes an LDAP object at that point, or
Apache could be started with "httpd -f ldap:///blah".

Does this sound like the right approach?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street