httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: About image processing and cache.
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2001 06:55:15 GMT
Carlos Costa Portela wrote:

> > The easiest way to do this is to use a dedicated caching layer to cache
> > your images. An Apache based reverse proxy can be used to do this quite
> > effectively (mod_proxy and the ProxyPass directive).
>
>         Ok. Thank you very much, Graham. Note that I don't what a simple
> proxy, since I must do image processing; for example, I can receive a name
> file, and four coordinates; or paint some points in the image, etc...

The image processing is done in the image processing layer, the proxy
acts as the caching layer like this:

 +---------+     +-------+     +-----------+
 | Browser | <-- | Proxy | <-- | Image     | <-- Image
 +---------+     | cache |     | Processor |
                 +-------+     +-----------+

The proxy cache can run on a different machine, or the same machine, or
even be a separate virtual host on the webserver (if the image
manipulator and the cache are both Apache).

>         If I use a dedicated caching layer, 1st, where can I find info?

Look in the mod_proxy docs for the ProxyPass directive, and read the
sections in RFC2616 about the Last-Modified and Expires headers so that
the cache is effective.

> and 2nd, can I agregate image processing?

I don't follow - what does this mean?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon