httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: dumps on Linux: some progress
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2001 22:28:51 GMT
"Gonyou, Austin" wrote:

> The answer to this lies in the fact that nobody owns nothing in /. / is
> nobody's home dir in /etc/passwd. I can get nobody to dump core when running
> top, if his homedir is someplace writeable. Alternately, I can get nobody to
> dump core, even if his homedir is not writeable, but he owns the dir in
> which he might dump core(working dir).
>
> To illustrate this point, I told /etc/passwd that nobody's homedir was /tmp,
> su - nobody, top(then kill 11 on top's pid).
> I get a core in Nobody's homedir.
> If I reset nobody's home back to /, then su - nobody, cd /tmp, top(then kill
> 11 on top's pid), I still get a core.

hmmmm, the last sequence (cd /tmp) is analogous to what Apache does in
sig_coredump, so I'm still a little puzzled.

OK, I tried that sequence with a cd to my Apache dump dir and killing
top, and Nobody still can't dump there.  But Nobody created a file
"test" in that dir with vi:

[nobody@xml /ap2.org]$ ls -l |grep dumps
drwxrwxrwt    2 gregames gregames     4096 Aug  9 18:11 dumps
[nobody@xml /ap2.org]$ ls -l dumps
total 772
-rw-------    1 root     root      1150976 Aug  9 17:10 core
-rw-r--r--    1 nobody   nobody          6 Aug  9 18:11 test

Anyway, thanks much for digging into this.  I'll stick with "webuser"
for now.

And congrats on sucessfully bring up all the new software!  Should we
assume from your SUCCESS!!!!!! e-mail that all this is running in
production?  What kind of hit rate?

Greg