httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: possible to change virtualhost and serverwide configuration without restarting?
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2001 21:30:05 GMT
David Wartell wrote:

> Is it possible in Apache 2.0 to change Apache configuration without restarting?
> I am particularly interested in making a change that can't be done from a .htaccess file
like adding a virtual host or changing the
> maxclients or ThreadsPerChild.

That's what we call a "graceful restart".  The idea is that any http
requests that are currently being served continue to be served, but
other idle server threads/processes are shut down.  Apache then re-reads
& parses the config file, and starts up new processes and threads which
use the new config information

You invoke it via "apachectl graceful" or just send SIGWINCH to the
parent pid.  The official doc is here -
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/stopping.html

Greg