httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: Currently known issues with 2.0.23
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2001 19:23:44 GMT
Cliff Woolley wrote:

> It looks like there might be a problem with _un_graceful restarts on
> threaded, namely that the whole server just vaporizes.  It doesn't do a
> clean shutdown because the pidfile is left behind, but it's gone
> nevertheless.  I've yet to find evidence of a segfault happening, but that
> remains a possibility.  I just checked and it works fine on prefork (as
> expected).  Will investigate further tomorrow.

You're right - I get exactly the same sympton on "apachectl restart"
now.  It sure isn't hanging - it vanishes without a trace. hmmmm, I've
been the only one breaking^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H putting good stuff into
threaded lately, so I must have done it somehow.

After adding many ap_log_errors, looks like things go normally until we
hit the code in ap_mpm_run responsible for graceless restart.  Then it
sure looks like the parent catches a SIGTERM that it intended to send
the children in ap_start_shutdown (the normal SIGTERM handler).

I'm going to try strace on the parent (thanks Jeff!), and/or backing
out/further scrutinizing my last patch to threaded.

Greg