httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: Currently known issues with 2.0.23 (very few! :)
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2001 14:52:07 GMT
Cliff Woolley wrote:

> Known issues with 2.0.23:
>
> 1) Win9x, WinME, and Netware do not yet work.
> 2) Unix: The threaded MPM might take longer than expected to restart or
>    shutdown on very-low-traffic (near idle) servers.  This is due to the
>    accept model for connections used by the threaded MPM and the fact that
>    workers cannot be awakened to receive the shutdown signal until they
>    receive an incoming connection.  A new MPM (temporarily called "worker")
>    is being developed to correct this problem using a different accept
>    model, though it is not ready yet.  For now, the prefork MPM is
>    considered the most stable (and is therefore currently the default),
>    though threaded has made quite a bit of progress since 2.0.22.  We are
>    very interested in real-world performance comparisons between
>    prefork and threaded, particularly on heavily-loaded servers.
>    Any feedback along those lines would be greatly appreciated.

I think this is an accurate, unemotional way to explain the issue.  Good
job!

hadn't thought much about shutdown.  Checking the code, I believe it
could easily be make speedier.

If you're planning to put this in a README or whatever, you may want to
break it up into 2 or 3 paragraphs to make it easier on the eyeballs.

> 3) mod_auth_dbm, mod_auth_db, and mod_auth_digest might not compile on
>    some systems due to missing headers or libraries which are not
>    correctly flagged as missing by configure.  Using --enable-modules=most,
>    --enable-shared=most, etc, can enable some of these modules even
>    on platforms where they will not compile.  If you have trouble
>    compiling any of them, you can disable the offending module by
>    rerunning configure and adding --disable-auth-dbm, --disable-auth-db,
>    or --disable-auth-digest to the end of your configure line.
> 4) mod_ssl is still in the process of being ported to Apache 2.0 and
>    is considered alpha quality.  Considerable progress has been made
>    on it since 2.0.22, though it still might not work on all systems and
>    not all functionality has yet been enabled.
> 5) There is a known build problem when using GNU make version 3.77
>    on some systems, which appears to be a bug in that version of gmake.
>    Upgrading to a newer version of gmake fixes the problem.
>
> Is #5 still a problem?  Are my explanations for #2-4 satisfactory?  Most
> importantly, are there any known problems that are NOT on this list?

As I mentioned to you off-list yesterday PM before rushing off to band
practice, replaying apache.org workload on my ThinkPad took it to its
knees.  ab on a simple static file was fine.  I haven't tried it yet
with the tag, but will ASAP.

The hard drive was going constantly on my TP before it crashed, like
when we use uncontrolled quantities of virtual memory.  The apache.org
workload has ssi's, autoindex, and some huge files.

Greg