httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: 2.0.23 tagging this afternoon
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2001 19:28:54 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 01:51:02PM -0400, Greg Ames wrote:
> > I expect threaded to work properly, except for two issues:
> >
> > *  not getting core dumps on Linux, and
> > *  processes staying in mutex land with a "G" in the scoreboard on a
> > server with no incoming requests (yawn).
> >
> > If anybody has problems with the threaded MPM on servers that actually
> > have incoming http requests, please let us know.
>
> It is unacceptable to have an MPM that can't handle a restart when it
> is idle.

I think there are plenty of admins out there who don't care much about
what http servers that aren't getting any http requests do.

Sort of reminds me of the old philosophical question - "If a tree falls
in the woods and no one is there to hear it, is there any sound?"

For admins who do care about such matters for whatever reason, we have
prefork.  On the other hand, we have heard from admins who say they need
a solid threaded MPM ASAP because they have memory constraints, on sites
that certainly aren't idle.  I believe that threaded meets the latter
group's needs today, except perhaps for the core dump issue.

> P.S. I can get core dumps on Linux with the threaded MPM (I haven't
> been following that thread too closely, so I'm not sure what the
> problem is).

Interesting.  Do you get core dumps when starting the server as root,
and the child processes run as non-root?  I may get them also when I run
as me on a high port, but almost never run that way because I wouldn't
expect admins to do that in production.

Greg