httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: 2.0.23 tagging this afternoon
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2001 17:51:02 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> I have a problem with tagging the way the tree is right now.  The threaded
> MPM is completely bogus,

Bull.  After fixing the breakage you introduced late in June and early
July, it's working pretty well actually.

>   and I don't believe that the group should be
> encouraging it's use in production servers.  As the code stands right now,
> the threaded MPM can not be gracefully restarted or shutdown on a
> lightly-hit server.

You obviously haven't tried it in a while.

> I see two ways to fix this.  Hold the tag/roll until the worker MPM is finished,
> hopefully sometime this week, or switch the default MPM to prefork.
>
> I want to stress that I am perfectly fine with just switching the default MPM
> to the prefork MPM.  Leaving the default at threaded, makes people think that
> we expect this MPM to work properly, which we really don't.

I expect threaded to work properly, except for two issues:

*  not getting core dumps on Linux, and
*  processes staying in mutex land with a "G" in the scoreboard on a
server with no incoming requests (yawn).

If anybody has problems with the threaded MPM on servers that actually
have incoming http requests, please let us know.

Greg