httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Patch]: Scoreboard as linked list.
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2001 13:00:53 GMT
Brian Pane wrote:

> Ryan Bloom wrote:
>
> >-1.  As I have stated multiple times, if this uses a mutex to lock the list whenever
something
> >walks the scoreboard, I can't accept it.  It will kill the performance for modules
that I have.

> I'm not convinced that you actually have to lock the whole list
> during a scoreboard traversal.

True. Finer granularity locking could be used *if* needed.

>                                 In fact, if a node's contents
> are left intact when it's 'deleted' and put back on the free
> list, it may even be possible to add/remove nodes without using
> locks (assuming that only one thread can add/remove notes at a
> time

This is probably a bad assumption since each process and worker
returns itself to the free list as it exits, thus there can be
multiple happening at one time...

>      and the amount of time that a deleted node spends on the
> free list is long enough for a scoreboard-walking reader that
> happens to have a pointer to that node to finish reading from
> that node before the node is reallocated).

Since the goal, under heavy load, is to make the best possible use
of workers, we want to minimize the amount of time workers spend
on the free list. We can't assume that the worker spends much time
on the free list, and we certainly don't want to extend that time.

To that end, however, I could alter the routines to put returned
nodes at the end of the free list and take them off the head. This
would provide the longest possible time on the free list without
artificially adding delay.

>                                            Also, the documentation
> that Paul posted mentions the option of using per-process or
> per-worker locking; that might offer sufficiently small granularity,
> depending on what specifically your modules are doing with the
> scoreboard.
> --Brian

Again, this is a possibility, *if* performance requires it. Using
finer granularity locking adds complexity to the code. I would
discourage moving to this unless the current scheme proves to be
a problem. According to my testing it isn't currently a problem.
Please prove me wrong and we can change it.

--
Paul J. Reder
-- Albert Einstein