httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: CONTRIBUTION : Monitoring Services on WIN32
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 18:10:25 GMT
From: "Mladen Turk" <mladen.turk@mail.inet.hr>
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 12:40 PM

I'd argue this would be in the relm of a gui configurator.  I'd like to see both
install and uninstall dropped from the 'simple' taskbar app.  To easy to for the
'operator' to accedentally undo the work of the 'administrator'.  Let's leave
both out, and let the user (who _knows_ what they are doing) fiddle the command
line or trust their gui tool (which would help new users to understand all the
implications, or just solve the implications for them.)

> > > *Get PID on WINNT 4.0
> >
> > Hmmm.  Need to think about that.  Do we (ever) need to get the PID on winNT,
> > since we have the SCM?  Or is this just for information purposes?
>
> I use pid as a service status flag, and it's also an info. NT4.0 doesn't
> have a QueryServiceStatusEx, so each running service pid is set to 1 (not
> very cool :)

I think we should be using the real service status for NT, except as extra info.
And I think the 'pids by numbers' bit just confuses users.  But I'll take a closer
look a little later.

Bill