httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: CONTRIBUTION : Monitoring Services on WIN32
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 15:13:42 GMT
From: "Mladen Turk" <mladen.turk@mail.inet.hr>
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 9:16 AM

> Hi all,
>
> As I understood there has been some need for service monitoring utility
> application.
> Well, I've assembled one, and if you guys think that it has the purpose,
> than it can be put in the official distribution.
>
> It was build to comply with the Bill's request (monitoring-services.txt),
> using only WIN32 API.

Very slick!  Thank you for submitting this.

> TODO:
> *Is there a need to add the option to install the service ? I was thinking
> something like dialog with fields for service name, apache.exe path and
> optionaly httpd.conf and server root directory.

That's a thought, but it would 1. add weight to what should stay a very tiny
piece of code, and 2. anyone introducing a service would need to grok creating
their second httpd.server2.conf file, or intermixing two servers in the same
conf file (tricky.)

> *Get PID on WINNT 4.0

Hmmm.  Need to think about that.  Do we (ever) need to get the PID on winNT,
since we have the SCM?  Or is this just for information purposes?

> *Document code.

I could read it just fine :)  Seriously, we tend to document bits that are
somewhat obscure, or counterintuitive.  Since anyone fiddling here is a win32
person, they should be able to read event loops.  There are some bits that
you could add about whys for folks not familiar with what's changed in the
taskbar operation, but we should be fine.

I've cleaned out the 4-char tabs (a definate no-no on new-httpd :) and just
changed whitespace for our coding style.  Other than that, it's ready to
commit, unless I hear an objection today :)  Attached is Mlladen's (cleaned)
code, sans extra .ico and other binary files, for anyone's review.

Bill