httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: 2.0.26?
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:40:53 GMT
On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 11:09:34AM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> That's silly.  That makes it very difficult to be sure we're stable again
> by the time we're "allowed" to tag 2.0.26.  I agree wholeheartedly with
> whomever it was that said the only problem with our current system is the
> concatenation of the words "tag" and "roll" into a single "tag&roll"
> operation.  We need to tag, test for just a little while to sort out the
> obvious problems that have just bitten 2.0.25, and THEN roll.  Rolling
> before preliminary tests are done is silly.  Half the time it means that
> we don't even build on some systems, which we could have found out about
> if we'd waited an hour to give people a chance to check.  I agree with
> Bill that there needs to be a time limit on the duration between the tag
> and the roll... four days sounds good (if not excessive).  That's what
> killed 2.0.23 and 2.0.24 in a way... they took too damned long.  At least
> if we spread it out over a couple days, we don't twiddle our thumbs for a
> week after we realize that the tarball we just rolled is broken for some
> piddly-ass reason or another.  Besides, if we wait a day or two between
> the tag and the roll, there would never BE a reason to release every day,
> so that problem just vanishes for free.

+1.  Couldn't say it better myself.  I would say a 48 hour window from
tag to roll would work out best.  Doing a tag and a roll at the same
time isn't good.  I think Roy's point was that the RM and the
development community should perform some sanity tests before rolling
it, but after tagging.

FWIW, John Sachs committed a test to httpd-test for the content-type of
a 404 message.  So, if you use httpd-test, we won't get bit by this
same problem in the future.  Any httpd committer already has access,
so they should feel free to add tests.  (Do subscribe to
test-dev@httpd.apache.org though...)  -- justin