httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: dependencies
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:26:26 GMT
> The *real* question is whether buildconf or configure should figure out
> dependencies or not. configure is probably a Bad Thing because there isn't
> much reason for end-users to have the dependencies recomputed every time
> they run the darn thing. buildconf is really the place to do it. *If* we
> want to impose dependency generation and use on all developers.

That would only work if it is sufficient to include only the non-os-specific
dependencies, since buildconf is run pre-tarball.  The worst thing we could
do is propagate OS or configuration-specific dependencies.

Personally, I'd rather we just add and maintain the relevant dependencies
manually within the Makefile.in files, with only the config-dependent
dependencies appended by configure.  And never run make depend again.

....Roy