httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject dependencies (was: Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/include ap_mmn.h)
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2001 00:16:50 GMT
On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 11:06:55AM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> On 26 Aug 2001 wrowe@apache.org wrote:
>
> > wrowe       01/08/25 22:15:09
> >
> >   Modified:    include  ap_mmn.h
> >   Log:
> >     That last round calls for a bump.
> >
> >     bump.
> >
> >   Revision  Changes    Path
> >   1.19      +2 -1      httpd-2.0/include/ap_mmn.h
>
> In 1.3, dependencies were generated periodically and then included in the
> makefiles... in 2.0, you have no dependencies unless you manually run
> "make depend" is the checked out tree... is it practical to have that
> automatically done somewhere?  (buildconf?)

The (apparent) consensus around dependencies focused around two points:

1) some developers may/may not want them, so we should accomodate that [by
   not forcing dependency generation]

2) end users do not require dependencies since they simply unpack and
   compile the server.

Given the above two points, a developer (or a user!) that wants dependencies
can do a "make depend". Leaving it out of buildconf and configure means that
the others users are also satisfied.

Cheers,
-g

--