httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <e...@w3.org>
Subject Re: appending to the content brigade
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2001 20:07:36 GMT
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 06:54:31PM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Greg Stein wrote:
>
> > Okay... let's back up. I believe that some poor advice may have been given.
> >
> > For now, let's assume that bPayload *does* have the entire content. Given
> > that, there is *no* reason to copy the darn payload into a new brigade.
> >
> > The whole *idea* of the filters and the brigades is that you modify the
> > brigade passed to you, and then pass it on down. Thus, your operation is
> > like this:
>
> Oh, duh, yeah of course.  Thanks for clearing the air.  =-)  I wasn't
> thinking from the beginning.  I started with the assumption that we had
> two brigades and we wanted to combine them or twiddle them in some way
> (which filters do all the time), missing the obvious fact that in THIS
> case you don't have to do that.  Tack some stuff onto the beginning, pass
> it down.  That's it.  Well, anyway, now you (Eric) know what the rules are
> if you have a more complicated case.

Yeah, I figured I could be more economical and have been shamed into
it. I wrote up some docs for filters and buckets (attached) but didn't
work this lesson into it. Take a look and see if you think they are
useful. I haven't put a lot of polish on them, but they should be a
good conversation starter. The documents are written to be peers of
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/developer/hooks.html.

> Thanks Greg.  :)

And thanks from me.
--