httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: recommanded configure for 2.0.24 ?
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2001 00:38:40 GMT
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 05:28:25PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 02:19:54AM +0200, Gomez Henri wrote:
> > Yes, on Linux prefork is selected by default. threaded seems to works
> > fine, but perchild is no more useable since mod_ssl failed to build.
>
> Yeah, but there are outstanding issues with threaded MPM that make me
> leery of recommending threaded for end-users until we resolve them.
> Threaded MPM works, but there are some issues that I don't think can
> be resolved in the current code.
>
> The long-term alternative is the worker MPM - Aaron just submitted
> (and rbb committed) a patch that should go a long way to get worker
> MPM up.  I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I will try to
> do so soon.  If you want to try out threads, you may want to try
> the worker MPM.  (God, these MPM names are wretched.)

That reminds me, would you mind throwing the same flood workload at the
worker MPM that you're using to test the new pool code? (I don't have access
to two machines on the same network to do this kind of a test). I'd
love to get some comparison numbers between prefork, threaded, and worker
(on solaris at least, and the cpu's would have to be maxed out I suppose:).

> > Using prefork mode on Linux make Apache 2.0 equivalent to
> > Apache 1.3 ? No more threads in that case ?
>
> Yeah.  On Linux, threads are equivalent to processes anyway, so it
> isn't a big deal.  Solaris is a different story though.

Well, on Linux they are scheduled as processes, but my understanding is
that clone() is much cheaper than fork(), so thread creation is cheaper
than process creation. All it means is Linux has a 1:1 (aka bound threads)
threading library. One of the things you lose is the ability to do
context-switches in user-space, which can be very efficient with
I/O bound threaded apps.

-aaron