httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: recommanded configure for 2.0.24 ?
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2001 00:28:25 GMT
On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 02:19:54AM +0200, Gomez Henri wrote:
> Yes, on Linux prefork is selected by default. threaded seems to works
> fine, but perchild is no more useable since mod_ssl failed to build.

Yeah, but there are outstanding issues with threaded MPM that make me
leery of recommending threaded for end-users until we resolve them.
Threaded MPM works, but there are some issues that I don't think can
be resolved in the current code.

The long-term alternative is the worker MPM - Aaron just submitted
(and rbb committed) a patch that should go a long way to get worker
MPM up.  I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I will try to
do so soon.  If you want to try out threads, you may want to try
the worker MPM.  (God, these MPM names are wretched.)

> Using prefork mode on Linux make Apache 2.0 equivalent to
> Apache 1.3 ? No more threads in that case ?

Yeah.  On Linux, threads are equivalent to processes anyway, so it
isn't a big deal.  Solaris is a different story though.

> I've got a question for you gurus, I'm working on mod_jk,
> tomcat connector, and I must make some task ONLY
> one time, regardless of MPM used (threading, forked, mixed).

The post_config hook is probably your best bet.  -- justin