httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/include http_core.h
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:51:27 GMT
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 04:24:35PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> I'm not approaching this again until I've slept on it.  I have the patch
> essentially finished, adding a per-'dir' (proxy location, really) pattern
> of p, with a isregex flag of r.  That's about as complicated as it gets.

I'm not sure that I follow what the pattern thing is all about.

> There will be no more 'faux' filenames.  It's either an absolute path, or
> undefined (and irrelevant.)  A few modules will get to deal with in anyways
> (such as mod_mime.)
>
> I'll start tommorow and wrap up tommorow, so everyone can take a look at what
> else this impacts.  But getting rid of 'specials' is the only way to clean out
> directory_walk of all it's very heavy cruft.

Note that r->filename and friends (finfo, canonical_filename, etc) are all
related to the filesystem. As such, they are all completely bogus when
you're talking about purely virtual resources (such as /server-status or
content coming from a database). Thus, they should not be part of the
request_rec, but instead part of a private structure to something like
mod_filesystem. That mod_filesystem would implement the various translation
and other fs-related items that occur.

And no... I'm not suggesting this happen any time soon :-) But it will one
day, if I can figure out how to tackle it and can set aside the time.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/