httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: .libs/httpd
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:40:37 GMT
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:50:06PM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> On Friday 24 August 2001 13:51, Greg Stein wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 08:27:57AM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > > Please don't do that.  Passing --disable-shared is what caused the shared
> > > modules to stop working.
> >
> > Apache should be able to work as one big monolithic executable. Shared
> > modules should still be able to work because Apache would still have DSO
>
> But as I said, libtool sucks.  Basically, libtool 1.4 has combined ltconfig and
> libtool into one executable.  If you pass --disable-shared to the configure
> step, the libtool is built in such a way, that it can no longer create shared
> libraries.

That has nothing to do with libtool. You configured the system to build
things as static libraries. Why would you suddenly expected the *output* of
that configuration to be able to build shared libs?

Even so, an external module could be built as a shared lib, and loaded by
that monolithic Apache. And hey... maybe somebody built a monolithic Apache
*specifically* to disallow new modules.

So I'm not sure why your undies are all in a bunch about libtool and the
--disable-shared switch.

Cheers,
-g

--